[Wikipedia-l] Re: WCCE and Wikipedia etc.

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 21:55:16 UTC 2005

Andy Rabagliati a écrit:
 > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Kim Tucker wrote: (mailing list copied)
 >

 >>Hi Andy,
 >>How is everything?
 >

 > Lets start with the big questions :-)
 > Working currently on an easily installable "wizzy server" that does
email in an occasionally-connected location.
 > Mostly via dialup these days, but I hope via USB memory stick.
 >

 >>Are you by any chance going to WCCE? (we have exhibition space and a
demo slot).

 > Looking at the dates, no :-(
 >

 >>We are preparing a box of CDs to distribute and considered including
extracts of Wikipedia.

 >>Do you have a subset which would fit on one or at most 2 CDs which
could be distributed
 >>without risk of bad content inside? - and ideally relevant content
which would be of use
 >>even to people in Africa?
 >

 > I carry wikipedia around on an external hard drive, for installation
at schools.

 > Capacity quickly wizzed through a DVD last year ..
 >
 > I have been deleting my 2004 copies (which would fit your criteria) -
maybe I shouldn't.
 > However, old dumps are fine (just as good as today's dumps, I didn't
read the old one yet).

 > I think the 'bad content' (and 2 CD) criteria could be easily
satisfied with a text-only recent dump.

 > Text-only carries everything, but lacks pizazz (and porn).
 >
 > But that is what I recommend. Any others should be sent to Kim directly.
 >
 > Cheers,  Andy!

Not sure exactly where this mail comes from (/me perplex)... but
text-only encyclopedia, though safer, is a bit restricted :-(

I actually would prefer we set up a system with taggued pages than to
strip all images :-( but well... it takes less room

What is a "wizzy" server ?
ant