[Wikipedia-l] Re: WCCE and Wikipedia etc.

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Wed Jun 15 21:31:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Kim Tucker wrote: (mailing list copied)

> Hi Andy,
> How is everything?

Lets start with the big questions :-)
Working currently on an easily installable "wizzy server" that does email in an occasionally-connected location.
Mostly via dialup these days, but I hope via USB memory stick.

> Are you by any chance going to WCCE? (we have exhibition space and a demo slot).

Looking at the dates, no :-(

> We are preparing a box of CDs to distribute and considered including extracts of Wikipedia.

> Do you have a subset which would fit on one or at most 2 CDs which could be distributed
> without risk of bad content inside? - and ideally relevant content which would be of use
> even to people in Africa?

I carry wikipedia around on an external hard drive, for installation at schools.

Capacity quickly wizzed through a DVD last year ..

I have been deleting my 2004 copies (which would fit your criteria) - maybe I shouldn't.
However, old dumps are fine (just as good as today's dumps, I didn't read the old one yet).

I think the 'bad content' (and 2 CD) criteria could be easily satisfied with a text-only recent dump.

Text-only carries everything, but lacks pizazz (and porn).

But that is what I recommend. Any others should be sent to Kim directly.

Cheers,  Andy!