[Wikipedia-l] Re: Paid-for-articles WPs in smaller languages

Guaka guaka at no-log.org
Fri Jun 3 01:20:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:37 +0200, Wouter Steenbeek wrote:
> Guaka scripsit:
> > >From my experience with both the Limburgish and the Bambara Wikipedia
> >nearly all existing institutes won't really bother as long as there's
> >not a basic amount of articles.
>
> Well, in the case of the Limburgic wikipedia: the institutions were simply
> ignorant of the project. Recently we started contacting some of them,
> receiving positive reactions and some beginning edits, even though they
> hadn't yet informed their members.

Well they were ignorant because they ignored the emails when there
wasn't yet a basic amount of articles. I've sent mails before (I must
confess I forgot where exactly) and apparently Node ue has done the
same. So the institutions were ignorant because they ignored it. Which
is reasonable, since there was nothing to see yet. Or nothing of
interest to inform their members about.

Institutions usually consist of persons. It'll depend on the person who
reads the mail on what's being done with it. If the Wikipedia is bigger
chances are higher that the person will (re)act. Same if the person
heard about Wikipedia (in general) before. Even more if the person would
know that there are Wikipedia projects in nearly 200 languages.

Guaka!