[Wikipedia-l] Re: Change of Interwiki name for Moldovan language

Wikipedia Romania (Ronline) rowikipedia at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 09:58:11 UTC 2005

Hi.

I think we shouldn't turn this into a debate about the
legitimacy of the Moldovan Wikipedia and the
perceptions of Romanian contributors on the Wikimedia
network.

What is important is that a proposal was approved,
fairly, by the majority of Moldovan Wikipedia users
which explicitly states, among other things, that the
interwiki descriptor should be changed. This change is
basically from "Moldovan" to "Moldovan (Cyrillic)".

Hence, I see no reason how that ties into Moldovan not
being a language or something like that. The reason
behind the change was to affirm the fact that the
Moldovan Wikipedia only really contains content in
Cyrillic script, and that Cyrillic script is neither
the only, nor the majority script in use.
Unfortunately, this mailing list doesn't support
Unicode it seems, so the characters couldn't be
displayed.

See
http://mo.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ronline/Propunere
to see how the change should be. I will file a report
at bugzilla about this - it seems this is the most
efficient way to change interwiki descriptors.