[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Feb 20 15:24:21 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> No it means that many things will *never* have images. For example,
> Dolly the Sheep is dead. The only images of her are either from the
> news media or from the Roslin Institute. Therefore I used the images
> from the Roslin Institute.  The license on those images states that
> they can be freely used in a noncommercial setting so long as credit
> is given. I have done that.

1. We could have an illustration.

2. We could explain to the Roslin Institute who we are (though, as our
fame grows, they will know who we are anyway in a year or two) and ask
that just *one* image be released under a free license.  (I would
recommend Creative Commons attribution share alike, because it is easy
to read and understand, and more directly applicable to images than
the FDL.)

3.  We could contact the news media, who generally love us, and ask
for a single photo from their archives.  (To date, I have not had a
single interview with any reporter who didn't gush over our project
and take a few minutes after the interview telling me some little
anecdote about how our work has positively impacted there life in at
least some small way.  Earlier this week, a reporter told me that
Wikipedia helped him pass his citizenship test.)

--Jimbo