[Wikipedia-l] Re: Webs of trust are a better idea (was: trust metrics)

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 07:57:05 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Daniel Mayer wrote:
>
>>That would prevent any incentive to create sock puppets since my
>>selections only affect what *I* see and what the people who trust my
>>judgment see (if they set their preferences accordingly).
>>

>I think that's really fascinating.  The incentive only arises if the
>web of trust is "summed up" across different people to arrive at an
>overall "score".
>
>As long as we don't do that, there's no incentive for sock puppetry.
>
>So, hmm, why did I want to do it that way in the first place?  Well, a
>"summed up" score could be really handy for certain types of decision
>making.  It could provide people with feedback on their overall
>behavior.
>
>But the real point is just to find a way for us to scale better as the
>number of editors grows, to ensure that newcomers are assisted, that
>vandalism is properly watched for, etc.
>
>I like your idea a lot.
>
>--Jimbo

At the risk of me-too-ism, I think mav's web of trust concept at least
avoids most of the dangers I see in a feedback-based reputation system.
That alone is wonderful progress. I'm a little more skeptical about how
widely the concept would be adopted, but I'm also not that much of a
Recent Changes junkie, so maybe I'm missing the appeal. Anyway, the
web-of-trust system wouldn't have to be that widespread to be useful.

However, I would still avoid the pitfalls of generating a reputation
score for individual users, even using this framework. Better just to
let user X know that user Y trusts or distrusts X.

--Michael Snow