[Wikipedia-l] Re: Blocking

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 02:00:26 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> Tim Starling <ts4294967296 at hotmail.com> writes:
>
>>I was discussing possible measures against this guy on the IRC
>>channel. I came to the conclusion that the best feature to implement
>>would be a method for quickly rolling back page creation. Possibly,
>>sysops could have a column of checkboxes on RC.
>

> I like this idea. IMO, a better implementation idea would be to add rollback
> checkboxes to every top edit displayed on their contributions page (maybe
> with non-top edits automatically grayed out). At the top there simply would
> be a "select all" option. However I still can do 2-3 rollbacks a second when
> the server is running fast (gotta love scroll wheels on Linux - press them on
> a link and it opens in a new window). So I wouldn't benefit much from such a
> feature, but from a few frustrating experiences using rollback on a massive
> scale at work (on MS Windows), I know it isn't as easy for many people
> (whoever thought it would be a good idea to have 'auto-scroll' enabled when
> pressing down on the scroll wheel should be shot!).

You should be using Avant. Set it so that the middle mouse button opens
the windows behind the current one. One click per rollback. You can get
2 done per second.

Or you could just use shift-click, but that requires two clicks plus
keyboard action.

> What I would love to see is the addition of diffs to user contrib pages. That
> would make checking of anon edits go much faster (you can't just assume that
> every edit ever made by a vandal's IP is also a vandalism).

Yes, that would be very useful generally, although it might not help too
much with Papotages, who changes IP addresses rapidly.

> Anything that gives us the upper hand against vandals is a good thing; if it
> is easier for us to repair damage than it is for vandals to create it, then
> that removes much of the incentive for vandals to make a mess of the place
> and gives us tools to make cleaning up any mess when it does happen much
> easier. It also allows us to keep our doors wide open. All good things.

Hear hear.

-- Tim Starling.