[Wikipedia-l] Stub detector

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Fri Sep 27 22:38:58 UTC 2002

rose.parks at att.net wrote:
>      In regard to Mr. Manske proposed "stub dtector" scheme, below, I really thought
> that color coding was out - because it is inaccessible to blind people. I think this scheme is not a
> good idea without some alternative "stub detector" detectable by blind people.

Same problem as with the red links. Most simply, a stylesheet trick
could be pulled; in phase II, red links still contained the question
marks, just hidden. (The rendered HTML was cached, and only the style
sheet was changed according to user preferences, showing or hiding the
question marks, making the links black or red.)

>      In addition, I
> am reading the test page in Opera and there are no green underlining or words, only blue and red. Are
> we coding for Opera??

Waitaminute... in mozilla 1.2a I don't see any green; the stub links are
dark red. (BTW you have to log in, go to your preferences, and put in a
"stub threshold" to activate the feature.)

I find that I automatically interpret the dark red as "visited link", so
I tend to ignore any link so colored. Perhaps not the best choice for
what should be "I'm a stub! Fix me now!"

Green, of course, might not be the best choice for users with red/green
color-blindness.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)