[Wikipedia-l] SQL errors -- Server load?

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Thu Sep 26 16:31:16 UTC 2002

You Wrote:
> I've been getting errors like the following on an occasional
> basis for the last week or so. Might it be that we're not yet
> out of the woods on the server load issue?
> *Warning*: open(/tmp/sess_d951b98b197c77c47e75c3217ffce7cd, O_RDWR)
> failed: Too many open files in system (23) in
> */usr/local/apache/htdocs/w/wiki.phtml* on line *7*
> *Warning*: Failed opening 'Setup.php' for inclusion
> (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in
> */usr/local/apache/htdocs/w/wiki.phtml* on line *12*

I suspect this is caused not by too much load overall, but by
people accessing several of the foreign wikis at once.  The
APC cache software warns about the problem, since it keeps an
open file for each PHP source file, and each wiki uses 20-30
files.  I'll kick up that number and restart the server.