[Wikipedia-l] Deletion

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Wed Sep 25 11:12:01 UTC 2002

At 06:39 AM 9/25/02 +0200, Andre Engels wrote:

>Well, I don't know where I fall, but since my name seems to be one of those
>coming up in the debates - examining my motives doesn't change them. My
>motive is that there are some articles that in my opinion are worse than
>no article, and I keep with that opinion.

Yes you make many deletions, as I see from the log, most of which are fully
justified. I only found one or two deleted entries that seemed interesting
to me. (Although some substantial topics I'm not aware of the significance
of may be there). [[infant mortality (computer)]], fascinating topic
although it ought to be expanded to include all devices. [[Abermud]], the
father of them all, although not the grandaddy, that was Adventure. I guess
I want to see interesting topics remain, even if undeveloped.

>But we ARE justifying and we ARE not just prepared to make a record, the
>record is actually being made. Have you ever even looked at
>[[Wikipedia:Deletion log]]? You'll find EVERY deletion of the past three
>weeks there, with the justification given.

Since it is such a rich resource for good articles perhaps it might extend
back beyond 3 weeks and include an easy way to recover the text, small
though it may be.

>> I find returning to Wikipedia and finding articles deleted (and
>> unrecoverable) quite unpleasant.

I just need to remember to "watch" any short articles I guess.

>And I find coming to Wikipedia and seeing an article called "Bronx Zoo"
>with as its text "the zoo in the bronx" quite unpleasant.

A close case...the Bronx Zoo will be an article, but much more extensive
than that. Many deletions are of titles that will never make an article, I
would probably prefer titles that will remain, but we all have talked
extensively of that, I think without any real referent in experience other
than anecdotal, thus unconclusively. I guess what would suffice is to
ensure that somewhere, for example, in this case, in perhaps the article on
New York City, an empty link remains to [[Bronx Zoo]], just as a pointer to
encourage an article.

Fred