[Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Re: Wikipedia/OneLook

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Wed Sep 25 07:45:55 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 23:01, koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com wrote:
>>Also, he included redirects (e.g. [[Film Noir]]).  Should we ask that
 >>those be excluded, or is it that pressing an issue?
>
> We want him to include redirects. Ideally his software would know that
> they're redirects, but we want the result to come up if someone searches
> for an entry like "film noir".

I agree that redirects should be listed; many redirects exist because
they are alternate titles, alternate phrasings, alternate spellings,
etc. A perfectly valid search might pick one up but not another.

The particular case of [[Film Noir]] (a redirect to [[Film noir]]) is
perhaps less important if the search is case-insensitive, but I see
little point to excising it. You click it, you get the right article, no?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)