[Wikipedia-l] Deletions

Andre Engels engels at uni-koblenz.de
Mon Sep 23 14:22:30 UTC 2002

> All right. The big deleters (Engels, Jheimens, Mav) have adopted a more
> aggressive policy for deleting pages than the stated one (on
> [[Wikipedia:Votes for deletion]] and [[Wikipedia:Policy on permanent
> deletion of pages]]).
>
> Primarily, they delete stubs.
>
> We hashed this out once a while ago (see [[m:Kill the Stub Pages]],
> [[Wikipedia:The perfect stub article]], [[Wikipedia:Find or fix a stub]])
> and as you can see from the deletion policy, the consensus was that in the
> face of disagreement/ambiguity, it was better to not delete stubs than to
> delete them.
>
> I'd like to ask people to stop deleting stubs until we discuss this again.
>
> (See also [[User talk:Maveric49]] for a beginning debate.)

I don't know where you get the impression that "Primarily, [we] delete stubs."
but it is a very bad description of what we do. Yes, we delete stubs, but not
all stubs, just the very bad ones. I know you disagree with the deletion of
stubs, so I bend backward, but there is still a limit - and to me that limit
is reached if a stub is _less_ than a dictionary definition. Your anger seems
to have been aroused by maveric deleting impulse noise with the text "Unwanted
low-quality loud sound(s)". Now, I now too little about impulse noise to give
a definition of it, but I do know that if someone who does know about it
writes about it, (s)he will not let that definition stand. Which means that
it does NOT fall under "stubs that at least have a decent definition and might
in the future become articles".

Andre Engels