[Wikipedia-l] Article def for {{NUMBEROFARTICLES}}

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Sep 21 10:40:44 UTC 2002

Maveric149 wrote in part:

>Could this be enacted before we hit our "50%" milestone of 50,000 "articles"?
>Hitting that number could very well get us undeserved media attention and
>subsequent media articles that are critical of our article count and average
>article quality (based on byte size). That is not the type of media attention
>we need.

Hardly anybody has a clue that we exist.
Frankly, we're at the stage where "Any publicity is good publicity.".
We could issue a press release claiming to surpass Britannic now,
and it would be an obvious lie, but still good publicity in the end.

Of course, there's something to be said for integrity,
and definitely something to be said for your proposal on those grounds.
But not, IMO, on PR grounds.  Consider whether what we say is true,
not whether it will look good in the headlines.

-- Toby