[Wikipedia-l] The 100,000 articles goal

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Sep 21 10:26:20 UTC 2002

Eclecticology wrote:

>Axel Boldt wrote:

>>I vote for simply removing this "100,000 article" sentence.

>I can see your point, but I don't see it as much of a concern.  Building
>bulk is fine as a short term goal.  If the projections that I made a few
>days ago are at all meaningful we should reach that 100,000 early in
>2003.  Let's leave it in until we reach that goal then not replace it
>with any new numerical goal at that time.

But we will *not* reach that goal in 2003 or (I predict) any time soon!
The page says (in '' IIRC) 100,000 *complete* articles.
I think that it's a fine goal for the future (however arbitrary),
although I still think that it will only confuse newcomers,
who may not notice the crucial "complete" (however emphasised).
So I'm with Axel; remove it.

-- Toby