[Wikipedia-l] Common typos (was: Tucci528)

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Sat Sep 14 00:45:52 UTC 2002

> I see the problem, but imagine this like a search and
> replace function in a texteditor: I usually don't hit "replace
> all", but look at every particular instance and decide, if it
> should be replaced.

There's a reason that feature is often jokingly referred to
as "search and destroy".  If someone wants to create a script
to find all instances of a certain thing, and make it easier
for him to change it, as long as there's a human being to
look at the text and approve each change individually, I
would have less objection to that, but that's still a bit too
much automation for my tastes; it's likely that the human will
become quick-on-the-button to approve the changes if 99% of
them are OK--but that's exactly the case where he should be
most vigilant.

Don't misunderstand--I have nothing against automated processes
that /add/ new pages, or processes that that change programmatic
features (like updating the wiki syntax or moving titles), but
the actual /content/, the /meaningful/ human-entered text that
constitutes an article, should only be changed by another human.