[Wikipedia-l] Article def for {{NUMBEROFARTICLES}}

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 09:10:35 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>This has been discussed in a few places and the consensus that I have
>gathered is that most people would like to have a more conservative
>definition for purposes of software detection.
>
>Could this be enacted before we hit our "50%" milestone of 50,000 "articles"?
>
>Hitting that number could very well get us undeserved media attention and
>subsequent media articles that are critical of our article count and average
>article quality (based on byte size). That is not the type of media attention
>we need.
>
>For starters, a 500-1000 byte minimum page size should be part of the current
>spec (keep this in mind though: there are many minor topics that can be
>considered to be minimal articles with only 500 bytes). Other more
>complicated criteria can be added later.
>
>Having the default behavior of "Random pages" to be "Random article" would be
>nice to (that is, only pages that are automatically detected as articles
>would be displayed).
>
>-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)
>[Wikipedia-l]
>To manage your subscription to this list, please go here:

I vote for a 500 byte cutoff to be added to the existing rules.  More
conservative estimates can do us nothing but good.
1000 bytes is too brutal, though: as mav says, many simple topics can be
dealt with in 500 bytes.  This will have the effect of reducing the
article count by about 30%, to around 31,000.

The [[Wikipedia:Size of Wikipedia]] page graphs can be adjusted to deal
with the change in index.

Oh, by the way, can I be please be granted administrator privileges?

Neil