[Wikipedia-l] "genetically unequiped" women

Adam Williamson aw280 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 11 11:26:25 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 06:51, Michael R. Irwin wrote:

> You really think that is helpful when approaching
> someone on behalf of the mailing list to ask that
> they comply with predefined community customs,
> rules, policies, etc.?
>
> If provocatively stupid things are appropriate
> then they are appropriate for all, if not
> appropriate then they are not appropriate for
> all.   Tis the American myth.
>
> "With justice and liberty for all."
>
> or
>
> "With insults and intolerance for all."
>
> Free advice follows, clearly worth nothing
> because I am not a popular fellow at the
> moment.
>
> Pick your customs carefully.  You may
> find yourself subject to them.

Think before you post, Mike.

Those who responded to Jaap's post merely exercised their own right to
freedom of expression. None of them denied Jaap's right to hold such an
opinion, or said he should be stopped from expressing it. The freedom to
speak does not include freedom from criticism for that speech.

Now compare to what Jaap said. The implication of his post is that men
should decide "important" issues alone and women should be barred from
any consideration in deciding them. Now that truly IS a restriction of
liberty, wouldn't you say?
--
adamw