[Wikipedia-l] little earthquakes page - song extract?!

Jaap van Ganswijk ganswijk at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 10 23:28:44 UTC 2002

At 2002-09-09 15:53 -0700, lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
>> The page for Little Earthquakes, a Tori Amos album, includes an
>> extract from one of the album's songs. This seems a bit dubious,
>> copyright-wise! I've removed the link for now, to be safe. Does
>> anyone know if the extract is legally OK for inclusion in
>> Wikipedia? Check the history of Tori Amos/Little Earthquakes to
>> see the page with the link (damn subpages).
>
>If you are talking about "Ta_crucify.ogg", that's a 17-second
>sample as is noted on the description page for the upload. Short
>samples like these (I've done others on the Simon & Garfunkel and
>Beatles pages as well) should be no problem under US fair use law.
>I cannot comment on the laws of other nations.

USA law is the same as European/international law since about 1990
when the USA adopted the Berne convention rules.

For more info, see:
http://www.chipdir.nl/about/ under 'Legal stuff'

The local authority representing the writers, composers
and artists (BUMA/STEMRA in the Netherlands) may however
have different views on which cases to prosecute and
which not.

Greetings,
Jaap