[Wikipedia-l] little earthquakes page - song extract?!

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Mon Sep 9 22:53:49 UTC 2002

> The page for Little Earthquakes, a Tori Amos album, includes an
> extract from one of the album's songs. This seems a bit dubious,
> copyright-wise! I've removed the link for now, to be safe. Does
> anyone know if the extract is legally OK for inclusion in
> Wikipedia? Check the history of Tori Amos/Little Earthquakes to
> see the page with the link (damn subpages).

If you are talking about "Ta_crucify.ogg", that's a 17-second
sample as is noted on the description page for the upload. Short
samples like these (I've done others on the Simon & Garfunkel and
Beatles pages as well) should be no problem under US fair use law.
I cannot comment on the laws of other nations.