[Wikipedia-l] Box characters and question marks

Pierre Abbat phma at webjockey.net
Sun Sep 1 05:32:01 UTC 2002

I noticed that Quercusrobur was writing articles with lots of boxes in them,
and changed them to apostrophes. So I wrote him a note on his talk page
including a row of box characters (which I generated with "160 128 do i emit
loop"; I have no way to type them). I just checked the page and all the boxes
have been turned into question marks! So I have three questions:

1. How do people write articles with boxes?

2. The people who write articles with boxes don't see them as boxes. They see
them as apostrophes, dashes, ellipses, etc. How do we explain to them how to
avoid writing boxes?

3. What changed the boxes to question marks?

phma