[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Feature Proposal: Certification

Matthew Woodcraft mattheww+wikipedia at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Oct 31 19:43:11 UTC 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 02:09:15PM -0500, Poor, Edmund W wrote:
> Neither of the scenarios you suggest is likely to occur with me, or
> with any of the dozens of others whose work I've come to repect.

> If I see the "hidden changes exist" flag, then of course I will either:
> * read the current version, or
> * use the "History" and "Diff" links
> to see what you call the wild changes, before editing.

'Before editing' just that article? What about edits to talk pages? The
potential for confusion during discussion is immense, if different
participants are seeing different views of the Wikipedia.

What about edits to related articles? You would be in danger of
duplicating information which had been placed on other pages, but which
you had hidden from yourself. Or worse, erroneously omitting
information because you believed it to be covered elsewhere.

> Do you still think there still something fundamentally, um, bad about
> the way of creating an encyclopedia that Erik and I are discussing?

Not bad per se, just not appropriate to Wikipedia. I still recommend
you fork if you wish to try this experiment.

-M-