[Wikipedia-l] survey on www.wikipedia.org

elian elian at gmx.li
Wed Oct 30 23:42:34 UTC 2002

- 1 blank
- 2 for Neil's proposal
- 6 for redirect
- 15 for multilingual portal

(3 people counted two times because they voted for two options)

Detailed results (I tried to include all I found on the mailinglists and
metawikipedia, if someone is left out, please add yourself. I also added a
summarized version of comments I found)

1) multilingual portal
	Kurt Jansson
	Krzysztof P. Jasiuto (kpjas)
	elian
	Magnus Manske
	Giskart
	Martin Aggel
	Thomas Diel
	Ray Saintonge (Eclecticology)
	Erik Zachte (especially no automatic redirect)
	Chuck Smith (especially no automatic redirect)
	Fam. Spaans (especially no automatic redirect)
	Toby Bartels (+other remarks, Neil's proposal)
	Daniel Mayer (mav) (portal should by wikipage, changes should be made
	after moving all wikipedias into one database)

2) redirect
	Tom Parmenter
	Guillaume Blanchard (Aoineko)
	Erik Moeller (Eloquence)
	Stephen Gilbert: redirection page should make the existence of other
	language projects more prominent, option to set default language in
	user prefs

3) other
	Will Smith (redirect or portal)
	Sven Burkhardt (redirect or portal)
	Anthere: blank, neither automatic redirect nor the proposed draft for
	the multilingual page (as I understood, please correct if I am wrong)

4) Neil's proposal: Neil, Toby Bartels
5) no change: Jeff Bronks

Possible proceedings:
1) Doing nothing and leave things as they are
2) put a redirection in place
3) put a portal in place
4) since the majority seems to favor the portal solution, further
discussion could be directed towards developping a portal solution which
is acceptable for its opponents, too. For doing this it would be necessary
to know what the portal should include to be acceptable..
5) Any other ideas???

greetings,
elian