[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] cross-Wikipedia redirects

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Wed Oct 30 21:27:05 UTC 2002

Jason Richey wrote:
 > Brion VIBBER wrote:
 >>Do we want to allow convenient [[Site:Title]] linking to other
 >>non-Wikipedia wikis?
 >>
 >>Eg, [[MeatBall:InterWiki]] would get you to
 >>http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?InterWiki
 >
> We may be shooting ourselves in the foot by doing this...  With a URL
> like the one you mention, I think it likely that it will disappear in
> the future...
>
> I would not be opposed to linking [[Site:Title]] for non-Wikipedia
> wikis if their URLs looked like the administrator of the site intended
> to support them forever... For instance, if the URL was
> http://www.usemod.com/wiki/InterWiki or the like...

Hmm, isn't that exactly what this would solve?

The InterMap list is maintained and updated regularly. If we keep track
of that and update our copy (along with the general software maintenance
and development), then that neatly solves the problem of hand-copied
URLs in article text potentially becoming obsolete and difficult to
track down and correct manually.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)