[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: [Wikitech-l] cross-Wikipedia redirects

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 18:48:15 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 04:00 am, wikipedia-l-request at wikipedia.org
wrote:
> Well, what's the benefit in not being able to? (Once the kinks are
> smoothed out, which you're more than welcome to do.)
>

> Which reminds me -- not for redirecting, but for interwiki linking in
> general. Do we want to allow convenient [[Site:Title]] linking to other
> non-Wikipedia wikis?

Heavens no! We should only be using interlanguage links to interlink Wikipedia
encyclopedia language versions. Everything else should either be an inline
intralink within the same language version or an inline external link to a
non-wikipedia encyclopedia page.

We should only be making magical inter-language links to and from pages that
directly relate to our main goal (hint: creating a huge multilanguage, NPOV
encyclopedia).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)