[Wikipedia-l] 80,000

Lightning lightning at chaos-productions.com
Sun Oct 27 14:38:38 UTC 2002

> MY RESULTS
>
> 1) Whippet - tiny stub
>
> 2) Master station - straightforward definition, drawn from Federal
> Standard 1037C
>
> 3) Topological group - lengthy mathematical article
>
> 4) Lexington, Missouri - Rambot entry
>
> 5) Worcester Cathedral - tiny stub
>
> 6) F-14 Tomcat - lengthy article, with written information and a long
> list of stats
>
> 7) Triboluminescence - stub, basically a definition
>
> 8) Antony and Cleopatra - stub on the Shakespeare play
>
> 9) Stotts City, Missouri - Rambot entry
>
> 10) History of Swaziland - CIA factbook entry, very stubbish
>
> 11) Arecales - microstub (family listing)
>
> 12) Ripe - disambiguation page, no actual info
>
> 13) Der er et yndigt land -  (Danish national anthem) lyrics and English
> translation
>
> 14) Cow tipping - short article on an urban legend
>
> 15) Hub - definition
>
> 16) Feyenoord Rotterdam - short article on the Dutch football team
>
> 17) Cleveland, Illinois - rambot entry
>
> 18) Marion Heights, Pennsylvania - rambot entry
>
> 19) Spring Valley, Ohio - rambot entry
>
> 20) New Richmond, Wisconsin - rambot AGAIN

Well, uhm, a truly random page selector should be able to pick the same page
20 times, or rambot cities 20 times, or foods that start with the letter q
20 times, because if it can't, then its not truly random. so this is a bad
way of doing this. theres 35k rambot articles, out of 80k articles, that
just beans that rambot articles have a 7/16 probability of being picked. but
that doesnt rule out the possibility that if i click it 50 times i will get
years 2-51.  Remember that with random picking the last choice has no effect
on the next one.  soooo lets stop looking for patterns in a random page
generator... we could be doing real work... it seems that a lot of people
sometimes get carried away in details. dont worry people, once wikipedia
grows the randompage gen will even itself out.

Lightning