[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] voting on www.wikipedia.org

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 26 17:34:19 UTC 2002

>That reminds me of the referendum we had to vote for
>quite many years ago when we had lots of problems with
>our colony New Caledonia.
>The vote proposition was basically "do you want to do
>something for New Caledonia"
>* yes
>* no
>
>"wellllllll....yessssss of course"
>There was an unwritten codicil.

It reminds me of the question that appeaed oin an insurance company form
some years ago.  It asked, "Are you single, married, widowed or
divorced?"  One individual simply answred "Yes".

>So of course, I vote "other"
>Well being aware that in *this* voting system, "other"
>means "white" and that "white" is never counted in the
>final results.
>Undefined "other" can not be anything else than
>"white".
>
>"Other" could have been a proposition, as was
>announced by tc *yesterday*.

Hmmm!  "Blanc" in this context would be "blank" instead of "white".  You
are right that a blank ballot would not be counted, and would suggest an
abstention, or often that you don't care which way a vote goes.
 Nevertheless, a lot of abstentions would be noticeable.  Voting "other"
(sometimes the same as "none of the above" but with a place to write in
an alternate suggestion) means that you really don't like any of the
other options.  A strong "other" vote often means that we want to keep
on talking about this.  Mercifully, let's hope that the "other"s don't
win this time.
Eclecticology