[Wikipedia-l] Cunc, tell us what you want?

Stephen Gilbert canuck_in_korea2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 25 15:41:14 UTC 2002

--- erik_moeller at gmx.de wrote:
> I'm not the person being asked, but I think there's
> a simple solution:
> www.wikipedia.org should do an HTTP redirect to
> en.wikipedia.org,
> de.wikipedia.org or whatever based on the language
> preference in the
> browser. If someone who has German in their browser
> then wants to work on
> the English WP, they just click on the "English"
> link on the top, or go to
> en.wikipedia.org next time instead of
> www.wikipedia.org. But in general,
> no language would be preferred, and the browser
> settings would be honored
> instead.
>
> Is there any problem with that? I strongly agree
> with Cunctator and others
> that a static, language-"neutral" frontpage is a
> very, very bad idea, esp.
> from a usability perspective.

Yes, this is what I want as well. The only objection
that has been raised (to my knowledge) is that people
may get directed to the wrong language. I don't
understand this objection, as we should be using the
language preference setting in each visitor's web
browser. Also, a person would still be one click away
from any other language, and he could set a language
in his Wikipedia preferences should he desire.

Stephen G.