[Wikipedia-l] Cunc, tell us what you want?

erik_moeller at gmx.de erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Oct 25 13:24:00 UTC 2002

> What is desired?

> 1.  Greater language-neutrality -- this is not an English project with
> minor "mere translation" projects -- it is a language neutral project.

> 2.  No balkanization -- this is not a confederation of separate language
> projects, it is a single project, language neutral.

> --------

> How should we achieve these things?

I'm not the person being asked, but I think there's a simple solution:
www.wikipedia.org should do an HTTP redirect to en.wikipedia.org,
de.wikipedia.org or whatever based on the language preference in the
browser. If someone who has German in their browser then wants to work on
the English WP, they just click on the "English" link on the top, or go to
en.wikipedia.org next time instead of www.wikipedia.org. But in general,
no language would be preferred, and the browser settings would be honored
instead.

Is there any problem with that? I strongly agree with Cunctator and others
that a static, language-"neutral" frontpage is a very, very bad idea, esp.
from a usability perspective.

Best regards,

Erik Moeller