[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] www.wikipedia.org design

elian elian at gmx.li
Thu Oct 24 19:10:03 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> writes:

> 1.  The text is slightly different from what we have now, in some
> possibly debatable ways.  Let's assume that our current text is not
> set in stone and that it would be desirable to make it emphasize more
> clearly our international scope.

If someone can write a better (maybe also shorter) introduction, I'll
integrate it.

> 3.  The major 'other languages' are made more prominent, with "text
> images" saying the name of each language.  I think that particular
> design feature is a bad idea (why make an image when text will do the
> job just fine?), but I like the overall look of making the other
> wikipedias more prominent.

There is a new version without images at
http://www.djini.de/Uploads/wikipedia/wikipedia2.html

I took one of my old stylesheets so the colors (like the rest) are debatable.

> I would be opposed to automatically pulling all those numbers out of
> the databases for every load of the homepage -- an automated daily
> updating would be more efficient and would suit our purposes just
> fine.

I totally agree with this.

> 4.  Some of the "tools" are not linked here.  Recent Pages, Random
> Page, and so on.  I would support restoring those; they are important.
> What say you?

Recentchanges, the most important, is there. The rest is
language-dependent so we will get into trouble if we try putting them on
the Main Page. I'd like to keep it as clear and simple as possible.

greetings,
elian
--
Once you realize that documentation should be laughed at, peed upon, put
on fire, and just ridiculed in general, THEN, and only then, have you