[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] www.wikipedia.org design

elian elian at gmx.li
Thu Oct 24 16:16:54 UTC 2002

"Will Smith" <will at willsmith.org> writes:

> Nice, but it's not totally clear that you have to click on the icon, rather
> than the underlined word underneath the icon.  I'd guess users typically
> click on underlined links rather than words appearing big and bold.
> Does there really need to be a link to each language's
> Special:Recentchanges from the www site?

No, it's just a nice feature for the recentchanges-junkies. Not really
necessary.

> And the search function ... that searches Wikipedia-EN?  Personally
> I'd say that's fine, other's might say that Wikipedia-EN is being
> given preferential treatment.

AFAIK there is no multilingual search, yet.
Until this is implemented, I'd say the biggest wikipedia merits some kind
of special treatment - at least the possibility that you get good search
results on the english is a lot higher than in the other languages.

Maybe later we could sort this out automatically like google does it: if
someone is searching f.e. for french words, he gets french
results, of course.

greetings,
elian