[Wikipedia-l] Re: Less than an outright ban

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 23 03:31:05 UTC 2002

Jeroen Heijmans wrote:

> Same point. The Canadian thing wasn't the first time DW "violated"
> wikipediquette. Also: these were mainly on the talk page, which
> wouldn't have helped. The Canadian thing seems to go quite well now,
> we all seem to be satisfied with a new approach on which we're working
> at a temporary page.

Even DW has been co-operating there now.

> Anyway, maybe it is better to have something like this: If a user
> repeatedly violates some rule, convention, whatever and has ignored
> pleas from others to follow that rule, we could raise some flag in the
> database and show the user a page with "Other Wikipedians have not you
> have repeatedly violated X. Please read this documentation over X. If
> you disagree with X, please go to Talk:X or Wikipedia-L. If you
> continue to disrespect X, other measures may follow...".
>
> In this way, the use "gets reminded" all the time, and can't deny
> knowing about the rule. Next measures be a ban from editing specific
> articles, all articles (or talks if appropriate), etc.

This is an interesting approach.  When the offender tries to post he
would be redirected to such a page that would explain his offense
followed  by "Do you understand and agree to the above?"  He would then
have yes and no buttons.  A yes would bring him back on track; if he
presses no he would ban or suspend himself.  This all assumes that this
is technically feasible.

Eclecticology