[Wikipedia-l] Re: Less than an outright ban

Jeroen Heijmans j.heijmans at stud.tue.nl
Tue Oct 22 22:38:23 UTC 2002

>What do people think about a Selective Block? How would things have been =
>different if we had done this with any of the following?
>

>* Helga (H. Jonat)

I don't think a partial ban would have helped here. As far as I've
followed it, there were many articles where she kept on "violating"
certain agreements/rules. Freezing an article (for Helga alone) might
have stopped a problem at one article, but it wouldn't have kept her
from doing the same with other articles.

>* DW

Same point. The Canadian thing wasn't the first time DW "violated"
wikipediquette. Also: these were mainly on the talk page, which wouldn't
have helped. The Canadian thing seems to go quite well now, we all seem
to be satisfied with a new approach on which we're working at a
temporary page.

Anyway, maybe it is better to have something like this: If a user
repeatedly violates some rule, convention, whatever and has ignored
pleas from others to follow that rule, we could raise some flag in the
database and show the user a page with "Other Wikipedians have not you
have repeatedly violated X. Please read this documentation over X. If
you disagree with X, please go to Talk:X or Wikipedia-L. If you continue
to disrespect X, other measures may follow...".

In this way, the use "gets reminded" all the time, and can't deny
knowing about the rule. Next measures be a ban from editing specific
articles, all articles (or talks if appropriate), etc.

Jeronimo