[Wikipedia-l] Random page bug fix

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Thu Oct 17 19:57:26 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> There are at least two possible permanent solutions...
>
> 1.  Fix it so the rewrite works 100% correctly.  Since '&' is a legal
> character in a url, but not in a query string, the _idea_ here is not a
> bad one.  Plus, it's nicer in a way for end users.

I sent such a fix to wikitech-l yesterday, but since I believe LDC's the
one who orignally set up Apache & co on the server I left it to him to
recompile it with the same set of options plus the fix. If he doesn't do
it soon, I may go ahead anyway.

> 2.  Ban '&' from article titles to simplify our lives.  While it is true
> that '&' is _legal_ in a url, there's no reason we have to use it, other
> than usability for articles like 'AT&T'.

That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)