[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l digest, Vol 1 #753 - 16 msgs

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 17 06:18:31 UTC 2002

Matt M. wrote:

>>May I suggest Coluche or Desproges ? I supposed these
>>are not known by canadians ? I don't see why french
>>langage would be represented by a French man. By the
>>way, we write "français" for the language and
>>"Français" for the french man. These two words are
>>absolutely not interchangeable. That's both grammar
>>flaw and countrycentrism.
>>

>Ça me semble que dans une liste on devrait mettre une majuscule comme ça:
>
>- Anglais
>- Français
>- Espagnol
>- Latin
>- Espéranto
>
>n'est-ce pas? Mais de toute façon, in English we try not to say "the
>Frenchman" if referring to an indefinite person; that's sexist. We say "a
>French person." But I don't think you were trying to be sexist - all this to
>say that we should cut each other a little slack when dealing with languages
>not their own.

Canadian or even more generally English usage on capitalization is often
a matter of individual choice, and I can remember when, at least for
adjectives, a distinction like the one Anthère makes was taught in
schools.  But the situation is so muddled that writing guides simply ask
writers to be consistent within their own works..  Translating
"Français" as "french man" is acceptable, but I would prefer "French
man" with a capital letter.

Sexism doesn't enter into this at all.  "Frenchman" in one word that
does have associated difficulties, but attitudes are by no means
unanimous on this.  The movement for non-sexist language does see it as
sexist, but others of us would see the "a French person" as bringing
unnecessary awkwardness to the language.  Those afflicted with political
correctness often draw the false conclusion that those who do not follow
their solutions for non-sexist must be speaking in a sexist way.  I
certainly do not consider the word "frenchman" to be sexist.

The "-man" suffix used in conjunction with a nationality is often seen
as somehow a racial slur.  In Canada their has been a movement in the
Chinese ethnic community to rename all geographical places with
"Chinaman" in their names.

Eclecticology