[Wikipedia-l] Redirect detector

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Tue Oct 15 10:48:45 UTC 2002

Magnus Manske wrote:
> On Lee's test site (http://www.piclab.com/wikitest/wiki.phtml), I have
> patched the stub detector so that /when the stub detector is active/, it
> will also show links to redirects with a yellowish background.
>
> Should I use that on the live software
> 1. not at all
> 2. only when the stub detector is activated
> 3. for all logged-in users as an user option, off by default
> 4. for everybody

It's cute, and I can see it being handy at times. But, I think in
general I'd find it very distracting; the only time it matters to see if
a link goes via a redirect is when you're moving pages (or cleaning up
after old botched moves).

The stub detector, on the other hand, tells me something very basic and
always applicable: whether the link I'm following goes to a page that's
so small it might be useless (if I'm looking for detailed info, maybe
I'll skip it; if I'm looking to edit, I know it needs work).

They should be separately configurable; I would vote for #3 if it's kept.

Oh -- another thing; I notice the stub link marker doesn't do its magic
in Recentchanges. I suppose it would add a teensy bit to the db lookup,
but it might be nice.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)