[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] Re: es.wikipedia.org

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Tue Oct 15 03:34:22 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> Could we at least officially offer them the opportunity to come back first?

We've been doing that for months.

> Several people, including myself, have put one /hell/ of a lot of work in
> trying to make reunification possible. As a result I believe Wikipedia has
> changed for the best by trying to address their major concerns (at least the
> ones we know about).

And we should continue doing so; making the improved software available
to all languages is supposedly one of the concerns we're addressing...

> Setting up a test server is fine, but Brion PLEASE DO NOT CONVERT THE LIVE
> DATABASE TO PHASE III until we have either given-up on reunification efforts
> or EL decides to come back into the Wikipedia family as a full member (on our
> server).

I'm happy to wait (but neither you nor I are the ones trying to *use*
the thing) however I'm ready to do a final conversion from the
es.wikipedia dtabase (and/or the EL database) as soon as it's agreed upon.

Either way, the interface needs to be ready and working on the current
software... and we can always import pages from the EL server later. As
you yourself have said, it's getting the _users_ that counts. All
waiting on the upgrade does is show how little interest "we" have in
actually maintaining the Spanish section of the 'pedia.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)