[Wikipedia-l] Re: es.wikipedia.org

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 21:00:24 UTC 2002

On Monday 14 October 2002 12:01 pm, intlwiki-l-request at nupedia.com wrote:
> Is es.wikipedia going to get upgraded soon?
> The people at EL are not coming back soon, though
> they consider it possible for the future. Leaving
> es.wikipedia with the old software is crippling it,
> I might as well change the main page for "Por favor,
> vaya a Enciclopedia Libre".
>
> AstroNomer

Could we at least officially offer them the opportunity to come back first?
Several people, including myself, have put one /hell/ of a lot of work in
trying to make reunification possible. As a result I believe Wikipedia has
changed for the best by trying to address their major concerns (at least the
ones we know about).

Setting up a test server is fine, but Brion PLEASE DO NOT CONVERT THE LIVE
DATABASE TO PHASE III until we have either given-up on reunification efforts
or EL decides to come back into the Wikipedia family as a full member (on our
server).

We need to draft a letter to them that is both in English and in Spanish. Some
notes on this are already at
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_letter_to_the_Enciclopedia_Libre_group
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Maveric49/commentary

It is the start of the work/school week so I won't have much time for this
until Friday but I encourage others to work on this.

The Spanish Wikipedia needs users. There already are a bunch of users over at
EL. Why not try to woo them back? Transferring their database here is trivial
but transferring their users is a different matter alltogether.

If negotiations break down we can still transfer their database here so that
we could at least get some of their users.

I just wish my Spanish wasn't so dang terable.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)