[Wikipedia-l] please don't allow subhead links

Mark Christensen mchristensen at humantech.com
Mon Oct 14 16:45:07 UTC 2002

> BUT PLEASE: No anchors adressable from outside! There is nearly no
difference to subpages.

I think I understand your point, but I don't follow your argument.
Accessibility from outside was never an important problem with subpages.
The key problem with subpages is that they created a "hardcoded" link
hierarchy, and that they create ambigous and overlaping logical
namespaces.   Should Chess be it's own article, or should it be
Boardgames/Chess, or Strategy games/Chess?  It's not at all obvious that
allowing HTML anchors would create these problems.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'd like to be able to see how
--exactly-- anchors are "nearly indistinguishable" from subpages.  If
you see this more clearly than I, could you please explain it to me.

Yours
Mark Christensen