[Intlwiki-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

Paul Ebermann Paul-Ebermann at gmx.de
Sat Oct 12 23:10:37 UTC 2002

"Toby Bartels" skribis:

> Magnus Manske wrote:
>
> >When writing on Phase II, I was thinking about little flags for the
> >different languages. We'd just need a merged GB/US flag for
> >en.wikipedia.com...
>
> I say that we should use the English flag,
> since the English language is named after England.
> I'm American, never been to England, but this doesn't bother me.
>
> And note that the English flag is *not* the Union Jack.
> It's *half* of that, the flag of Saint George.

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb-eng.html

[en]
(a) How many of the people interested in the english
 pages knows that this is the flag of England?

(b) Who will associate this flag with the english
language?

I think, this is even more discriminating than
only using the flag of the United Kingdom.

> Will this sort of thing work for every language
> that doesn't (like Esperanto) have its own flag?

I think at all that country-flags for representing
languages is a bad idea - even if the language is
named after a country.

Here again the arguments:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

Paul