[Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Oct 12 22:08:32 UTC 2002

[Note:  The post that I'm replying to didn't appear on <intl-wiki>.
        Or perhaps it appeared separately; I'm not sure.]

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Anthere wrote:

>>Right now, on the actual www.wikipedia.org,
>>there is *little way* a user not fluent in english, will have the
>>idea to scroll and look everywhere, down to the bottom of the page,
>>inside a crowded list of international links, to find the link to a
>>latin wikipedia.

>?  Look again.  When I get to http://www.wikipedia.org/ and I'm logged out,
>I see, very large and near the top: Danish, German, Esperanto, Spanish, French,
>Dutch, Polish, and Portuguese.

But not Latin, Frisian, ....

>It seems very prominent to me already.  It seems sensible to me that
>those links should be translated to Espanol, Deutsche, etc.  (But not
>by me, since I don't even know what "French" is in French.  Francais?)

"Español", "Deutsch", "Français".

>But they seem plenty prominent enough.

They don't seem at all prominent to me.
They're in with a bunch of header material that my eye naturally ignores;
I'm drawn to the beginning of paragraphed text further down.

-- Toby