[Wikipedia-l] RE: moving the English Wikipedia to en.wikipedia.org

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 20:58:18 UTC 2002

On Saturday 12 October 2002 12:33 pm, elian wrote:
> Just one more argument for the multilingual portal: for the German
> wikipedia we thought of making posters (for promoting wikipedia a little
> bit in universities). That means we have to put an URL on the poster
> people are able to remember well. The normal non-expert internet user is
> accustomed to URLs beginning with www (in fact most people simply don't
> know that this is not a necessary part of an internet address) So he will
> not remember de.wikipedia.org or is likely to get it wrong. On the other
> hand, www signifies to everybody: "hey, this is an internet address", so
> we don't even have to add a "http://"
>
> greetings,
> elian

Thanks for mentioning this point - it is a very important one. The PR power of
www.wikipedia.org should be shared by all language projects. It would be
unfair for the English Wikipedia to monopolize the direct benefits from this
PR tool.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

PS to The Cunctator; When I say "language projects" what I mean is
"subprojects of the larger Wikipedia Project that are based in different
languages".