[Wikipedia-l] policy suggestion: don't create pages for everything

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sat Oct 12 00:30:01 UTC 2002

I was looking on
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3APolicies_and_guidelines for
something along the lines of "don't create a new page for EVERY tiny
little thing".

couldn't find it.

so here's a suggestion in the shape of a story

I recently found the following mini-web of pages:
* roadrunner -- a list of the different meanings, including the cartoon
character
* Acme -- a multi-stub: several meanings, 2 paragraphs or so for each,
including a section on the Acme in the cartoons
* Wile E Coyote -- the cartoon character

Being bold, I turned took all the stuff on the cartoons and made "Road
Runner cartoon".
It's a non-stub made out of stubs. It's not bad as an article, and has
potential to grow.
Then someone came along and made "Wile E Coyote" and "Acme" back into
links.

There's a similar situation over at Winnie-the-pooh -- a dozen stubs for
each of the characters, saying, basically: "X is a character in
Winnie-the-pooh". This information would be of greater use to the reader
on a a single "Winnie-the-pooh" page, say with a header == characters ==.

I'm not sure this can be cleanly stated as some sort of policy without
resorting to fluffy cartoon animals. It's a little fuzzy just when to
apply this sort of merging and when not to.
With the RR articles, there was so much overlap between them.

plus I worry that the list of guidelines is too long already.

erm. there's probably a point to be distilled out of the above ;)