[Intlwiki-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] en.wikipedia.org vs www.wikipedia.org and the Wikipedia family

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Fri Oct 11 18:40:52 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 12:25, Anthere wrote:
>

>>One more click *only once* does not look like *huge* to me. Only once.
>>And one more login *only once* even less.
>>

>If you take a look at  http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special%3APopularpages
>
>you see the problem of the extra click. The front page has more than 20
>times as many view as the next most popular pages. Clickthroughs
>generally follow [[Zipf's law]] (it's even used as an example!).

Maybe that could be compensated by placing a big (=central, visible)
search function on top of the"www" main page, with a dropdown box for
the different languages, with the browser-preferred language
pre-selected. I guess that's what the random bypasser (the one-click
guy;) wants from an encyclopedia: search for some topic. People who are
interested in the project itself won't mind an additional click, IMHO.

Magnus