[Wikipedia-l] Moving the English Wikipedia to en.wikipedia.org

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Thu Oct 10 19:09:33 UTC 2002

>> If there's no objection, I'm going to switch the URL redirecting
>> around tomorrow, so that www.wikipedia.org/* points to
>> en.wikipedia.org/* rather than the other way 'round.  A new
>> intro page can later be set up at convenience.

> I object strenuously. This is not a slam-dunk good idea at all.
> Please hold off at least a good while before doing this.

I really hate saying this, but, um, I'm with Cunc here.
I also think it's a really bad idea to have www.wikipedia.org
be anything but the most direct route to the front page of
the English Wikipedia. Like it or not, that's where the
action is.  As long as the front page continues to have links
to the foreign wikis, I see no need to waste the time of 90%
of our users with a pointless "intro" page.