[Wikipedia-l] Moving the English Wikipedia to en.wikipedia.org

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Thu Oct 10 19:51:10 UTC 2002

Poor, Edmund W wrote:
> My objection is not to putting English Wikipedia an en.wikipedia.org but
 > to REDIRECTING www.wikipedia.org to en.wikipedia.org -- it would
perpetuate
 > the problem it claims to be solving.

Ed, that's exactly what we do now, only you continue to see the WWW in
the URL instead of the EN. Links to www.wikipedia.(com|org)/wiki/blabla
_need_ to redirect to the English wiki because we've got thousands of
such links in search engines, bookmarks, and links from other sites.

As far as the main page...

> Let's first ask all the various language groups who are actively building
 > The Wikipedia how they would prefer for their readers to find them.
And ask
 > what www.wikipedia.org should be, to serve each language group.

Isn't that what we're doing at:
   http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_to_do_with_www.wikipedia.org