[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] Spanish reunification effort

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Sat Oct 5 09:31:31 UTC 2002

Anthere wrote:
> Sorry to be a pain, but I "strongly" suggest that the
> american flag be removed from that page
> http://meta.wikipedia.com/wiki.phtml?title=What_to_do_with_www.wikipedia.org
>
> I think it is *really* misplaced. Really. Really.
> Really.
>
> But I didnot remove it myself...

Dude, it's a wiki! :)

 > just to point out how badly misplaced it was...

I have no problem with it being there -- small and tasteful alongside
the UK, Irish, Canadian, Australian, New Zealandese, Belizean, etc
flags, just as similar paragraphs for the other languages could have
flags representing the countries where those languages are spoken.

Until somebody gets around to doing that or thinks of something better,
I've yanked the unnecessarily large stars & stripes image.

>>One disturbing thing is that Edgar still views the
>>English Wikipedia as a solely American enterprise,
>>rather than an international effort.
>
> yeah, really strange, no ? He probably is the only one
> to think this

Oddly enough, I've noticed that the German wikipedia's links to the
English wikipedia call it the "International Wikipedia". I guess Austria
and Switzerland don't count as international to the Germans? ;)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)