[Wikipedia-l] NPOV and the israeli-palestinian conflict

Adam Williamson aw280 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 23:01:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 22:43, Poor, Edmund W wrote:
> Thank you, Elian. That was very well put. As one of those who have contributed to the pro-Israeli bias, I must apologize.
>
> I also find the pages you mention very one-sided. I don't know enough about the situation to fix it myself.
>
> If there is anything I can do to help you to fix these pages, please let me know. I offer my editing services to you.
>
> Ed Poor
>

> From: elian [mailto:elian at gmx.li]
> Subject: [Wikipedia-l] NPOV and the israeli-palestinian conflict
>
> When I discovered Wikipedia I was really fascinated and decided to join
> the project. One of my first selfimposed limitations before I even knew
> about the NPOV-policy, however, was not to write about the
> Israeli-palestinian conflict because I consider myself as biased (having
> friends who are palestinian refugees).
> [snip]

Ed, please reply below, not above, quoted material - it helps reading
flow.

To add to what Ed said - I don't think you should necessarily
'disqualify' yourself from editing articles because you consider
yourself biased. One perfectly good way of arriving at NPOV is for
people with opposite biases to edit the same article. Just go ahead and
edit it, and if you get it wrong, i'm sure someone will be happy to fix
it :)
--
adamw