[Wikipedia-l] Obscuring some redirects in the search

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Thu Oct 3 22:32:19 UTC 2002

Jeroen Heijmans wrote:

> I have a feature request that I'd first like to put on the mailing
> list, before putting it at SourceForge.
>
> When I use the search feature, I am frequently annoyed by the large
> number of pages showing up that are simply redirects. When I type
> Zimbabwe, I might also be interested in "History of Zimbabwe", which
> shows up. I am, however, not interested in the redirect
> "Zimbabwe/History", which is a previous location of that same article.
> I know it is important to keep that redirect for linking (both
> internal and external), but it is not useful for searching.

well it is if I want to see if there exists a page "surrealist" so I
don't need to write a pipe for [[surrealism|surrealist]].

As for redirects like "Zimbabwe/History", we don't want people to link
to those.
I am of the opinion that we should simply delete them -- the only
argument against is that Google has indexed them.