[Wikipedia-l] Spanish Wikipedia; Negotiation

Mark Christensen mchristensen at humantech.com
Wed Oct 2 17:14:37 UTC 2002

I think the key problem here is a breakdow of trust on both sides.  I
think we are all in agreement that Wikipedia branded encyclopedias
should all be open and NPOV. If we want them to trust us not to abuse
the wikipedia for advertizing purposes, we should trust them to keep the
encyclopedia open and NPOV.

Probably we should ask them to prommise to maintain certain standards of
openness and NPOV, just as we prommise not to make the various
wikipedia's into a giant avertizing site.   Hopefully everybody will
keep their word, but if not the loss can be minimized by the fact that
both projects use the GNU-FDL, and so a breach on either part would just
mean that --at the time when violation occurs-- either party can fork
the project.

As long as it's just fear that somebody will violate the principles we
stand for, we should try to get over those fears and work together.