[Wikipedia-l] Spanish Wikipedia

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Tue Oct 1 20:10:45 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:
> Khendon wrote:
>> Well, *one* of the two groups is going to have to speak the other's
>> language. Why not use English as the common language?
>>
> Then by the same argument, why not use Spanish?

I believe the main reason Spanish-speakers are being suggested is that
English-language negotiation on English-language mailing lists was
spectacularly unsuccessful at preventing the fork. Language in
particular may not be at fault, but general cultural mistrust and
misunderstandings seem to have been.

A bunch of Yankees demanding the Spanish surrender their encyclopedia
isn't going to go anywhere -- we need people who are _part of their wiki
community_ to explain why moving back is a preferable option. (May be
difficult -- they have control over their server, they can upgrade to
the phase III software as easily as we can if they care to download it,
and it's not clear whether they would consider the interlanguage links
and Wikipedia name a significant draw.)

> I think it was Brion who suggested we use Esperanto. That would be the
> fairest option.

Wasn't me, but I've no objection. ;) Certainly by definition all our
people at the Esperanto wiki are polyglots, and a fair chunk of us are
active on other-language wikipedias, so I'd like to hope we can serve as
ambassadors from time to time.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)